Removing Spots and Stains from NYLON Carpets
Spills can happen. When they do, treat them immediately, even if at a party. The longer it sits, the more difficult the stain will be to remove. Only after blotting or scraping up the excess of a spill should you proceed with these removal methods.
Basic Steps for Cleaning Common Food and Beverage Stains
The following “Basic Cleaning Steps” (BCS) are recommended for carpets made of nylon fibers.
What You Will Need:
Clean white cloths or white paper towels.
1 quart of warm water.
1 teaspoon of a mild, non-bleach liquid laundry detergent (not dish washing detergent).
How to Clean Your Carpet
1. Immediately scoop up as much of the spill as possible. Then blot, do not rub, with clean, white absorbent cloth or paper towels to remove excess moisture. Use a wet/dry vacuum if spill is large.
2. Most stains clean up with warm, not hot, water applied to the stained area. Then blot with clean white cloth or paper towels. Press down firmly to remove as much moisture as possible. Do not rub, as rubbing can alter the carpets texture. Repeat until no stain is evident on cloth or towels.
3. If stain remains on carpet make a solution of warm water and mild non-bleach liquid laundry (not dish washing) detergent (1 teaspoon to 1 quart water). Using a clean white cloth or sponge, apply enough solution to cover stain and let soak for about 5 minutes.
4. IMPORTANT: Then blot up the excess moisture. Rinse with warm water and blot thoroughly using a clean white cloth or sponge to extract water. Repeat until all detergent is removed – any residual detergent may accelerate soiling.
5. Absorb remaining moisture with layers of white paper towels, weighted down overnight with non-staining glass or ceramic object.
6. When completely dry, vacuum or brush the pile to restore texture.
Reappearing Stains: After drying, if the stain reappears, it may be because some of the stain remained deep in the pile and wicked up to the surface. If so, repeat steps 3 to 6.
Types of Stains & Stain Treatments
A. Water soluble stains – First blot thoroughly with paper towels. Then apply solution of 1/2 teaspoon (no more) of liquid dishwashing detergent to one quart of water, A spray bottle works well. Blot repeatedly with paper towels. Rinse well with water. Repeat this process until stain is removed.
B. Water soluble stains with odor – Treat like an ordinary water-soluble stain, but treat with white vinegar before using dishwashing detergent. Water-soluble stains with heavy color – Same as water-soluble stains but treat with household ammonia before using detergent,
C. Water-soluble stains with heavy color – same as water-soluble stains, but treat with household ammonia before using detergent.
D. Grease – Blot as much as possible with white paper towels. Apply volatile solvent such as 1,1, 1 -tri chloromethane to paper towels and repeat blotting. DO NOT APPLY SOLVENT DIRECTLY to carpet, Repeat until stain is removed. Use rubber gloves and provide adequate ventilation.
E. Waxes and Gum – Freeze stain with ice or commercially available product in aerosol can. Shatter with a blunt object and vacuum immediately. Repeat until stain is removed.
F. Medical Stains – Commercial preparations are available, a 5% Sodium Thiosulfate solution (from a photography store) may also be used, for stains more than a few hours old, this solution should be heated,
G. Rust – Most rust stains can be removed with a 10% solution of Oxalic Acid, More stubborn rust stains will require professional cleaning as restricted chemicals may be necessary.
Note: Prepackaged stain removal kits containing the major cleaning materials required are commercially available.
Caution: You should test any prepackaged chemical cleaner on a remnant or concealed area of your room before using on a stain. If carpet discoloration is evident, do not use.
Stain Treatment Table
SIGN UP NOW TO RECEIVE YOUR
$100 DISCOUNT, IT’S EASY!
You can use your discount on our special promotions on carpets, hard surface flooring and area rugs.
(AND that includes all Closeouts and Promotional Items!)